City of Terrell, Texas


Site Search
Enter Key Words:



Ask the Mayor a Question

How Do I . . . ?


City Council - Agendas are posted on the City Calendar when available.

City of Terrell Boards & Commissions


Volunteer for a Board or Commission


Citizens Feedback


Ask The Mayor


Mayor Hal Richards

Q. - How do I go about trying to get a city ordinance changed or modified?

Answer - Generally, ordinances are not modified. If an ordinance is to be "modified", it is actually replaced with a new ordinance. Normally, matters that require ordinances are brought forward by a council member or by the City Manager or his staff.


Like all other democratic entities in America, the City has a representative form of government. A citizen who sees the need for a new ordinance would be best advised to contact the member of the Council who represents him.


The Council Member might well suggest a meeting that would include the citizen, staff, and the Council Member. If an ordinance seemed prudent, staff would handle the details. Our staff would work with our City Attorney to write an ordinance for presentation to the Council.


The City Charter provides for citizen initiatives to bring legislative action to the voters. I believe this was conceived for situations where a citizen does not believe that the Council is properly responsive to the will of the citizens. This procedure is described in the City Charter in 8.01 and 8.02.




Hal Richards, Mayor




Go Back


City of Terrell Logo - Building a Better Community
City of Terrell
201 East Nash St.
P.O. Box 310

Terrell, Texas 75160
Metro 972-524-3332
Fax 972-551-6682



Copyright 1999 -
City of Terrell
All rights reserved

This page designed and maintained by  Word Works
 Please report any problems to

Staff Email

Copyright - Privacy Statement - Disclaimer